A is for Accio
“And then he heard it, speeding through the air behind him; he turned and saw his Firebolt hurtling towards him around the edge of the woods, soaring into the enclosure, and stopping dead in mid-air beside him, waiting for him to mount.”
—The Firebolt, under influence of this spell.
The Summoning Charm (incantation: Accio) was a charm that caused an object at a distance from the caster to fly into his or her arms. It was one of the oldest spells known to wizarding society.
• Harry Potter on June 24, 1995 successfully used this charm to Summon the Triwizard Cup, which had been made a Portkey, in order to escape Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters.
• Death eaters successfully summoned the prophecy sphere from Harry’s hands in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries.
• Molly Weasley used the charm several times to find many different magical sweets Fred and George were trying to sneak out of the house to the Quidditch World Cup.
• Harry Potter tried to cast the charm nonverbally and wandlessly to retrieve his wand after Draco Malfoy hit him with a full body-bind curse.
• Harry Potter tried to summon Hedwig and Rubeus Hagrid during the Battle of the Seven Potters.
• A Death Eater tried the charm to summon Harry’s Cloak of Invisibility.